Piracy is large. Despite the big media companies playing Whack-A-Mole with the Pirate Bay, information technology's probably around to stay.

I used to pirate files, services like Spotify and Netflix have stopped me. But I've always wondered: where practice pirated files come up from? At the center of it all are release groups, and their members. Only what practise these people go out of uploading the latest episode of Game of Thrones?

I talked to a few and found out.

If you want to reach a secretive, Internet-only community there'south one surefire manner to do it: ask Reddit. I posted in the r/torrents and r/trackers subreddits asking people who uploaded torrents for interviews and got a neat response.

Imagine that: a productive use for Reddit.

Note: All names accept been changed. Some at the request at the interviewees, others out of courtesy.

Release Groups and the Globe of Torrenting

Outside of small-scale, private torrenting communities (called trackers), the majority of TV shows or movies that go uploaded come from a relatively small number of sources — these are the release groups.

Release groups tape, encode and then upload the latest albums, movies, TV shows and anything else you tin can find on torrents. Some release groups have been effectually in i form or some other since the late 1980s. They even so largely use IRC and FTP to communicate and share files. The .NFO file that accompanies most torrents generally contains data on what release group shared it originally.

killers-1

In the small-scale private trackers, anyone can upload and the rules are such that they are encouraged to do and so. If someone downloads also much more than they upload they'll exist kicked out.

Uploaders all across the spectrum responded to my interview request.

What was most surprising most the responses were how similar they were. About everyone who responded mentioned i thing more than any other: giving back to the community.

Brian discovered his favourite band thank you to piracy. "I found my favorite band over a decade ago because someone (illegally) burned me a copy of one of their CDs", he writes, "since then I have gone out and purchased about of their music." This event obviously had a profound effect on him. He continues, "I effort to replicate that for others by making my favorite things available."

Darren expresses nearly identical sentiments. "The reason I do it is because I love music. The experience of finding a new artist and existence enthralled. And by uploading music I become a link in someone else's journeying to discover new music."

Similarly, for Ed the "main motivation … is giving back to the communities" he loves. He only uploads to individual, community driven trackers. Function of the reason he started uploading was to encounter the requirements for the user grade he wanted. He's since reached his goals. "Nowadays the majority of my uploads are to fill up requests", he explains, "I similar to know that every i of my uploads will at least make someone in the community grateful".

I find their sentiments hard to fault. Sharing something that has affected you with other people is a wonderful feel.

piratebay

A couple of people also explained that they get personal pleasure from sharing files. Alan is the main releaser for a release group. For him, it'southward almost all about the thrill. "Whenever I release something big", he writes, "I've noticed I just become similar this blitz, my heart starts going faster and I'g nervous. It's well-nigh exciting. And in one case it's done, I want to do it all over again, I find myself looking forward to that time where I find something exclusive, something I deem big that I can put out in that location with our name."

Brian's pleasance is less visceral but still a motivation. "I also just like sharing stuff!" he tells me, "I similar giving people things."

For some at that place is also an underlying political motivation — although it never seems to be the main reason.

Brian feels that "there is no longer a demand for the 'tape visitor' or even the 'publishing business firm', and pic/tv studios need to wake up and see that their one-time business model of the terminal 40+ years is no longer viable." Explaining he says, "there are things that I upload because I believe in that location exists a kind of disconnect betwixt the market for goods and the corporations selling them."

Darren's sentiments are much the aforementioned. "I think information technology'due south sorry how music has become such a packaged product. The RIAA and their counterparts in nations across the world have convinced nearly people that music or 'real music' has to be professionally produced for profit and sharing it with others for free is a crime, I don't run across it that way. I think music should exist shared and enjoyed freely by everyone."

Ed also agrees, "while I do believe digital content should be complimentary, or at to the lowest degree 'effort before you buy' in some capacity", he's conscientious to emphasise that it'due south "not actually the main motivator."

whatcd

But ii interviewees expressed any fright of being caught. Alan, who gets his thrill from the risk, was the most open about it. "It's weird. It'due south actually weird. Sometimes I kickoff thinking about means cops, if they wanted, would exist able to bust through my door while I'm half naked. I estimate sometimes I but experience like I'm not that safe, even though in my mind, rationally, in that location'south really no reason for that."

Darren is also careful, only nowhere most as worried. Explaining his motivations he writes, "I don't brand any money from it, I don't get any notoriety from it, quite the reverse I endeavor to keep a low profile due to the laws in my country not being favorable towards piracy."

One of the get-go people who responded, Frank*, wrote, "I'm sure the answers yous will discover hither are: Fun, community, fame [in the instance of some large uploaders], and reward [such equally a college user class]." He was pretty spot on.

Prototype Credits: Pirate accessories Via Shutterstock

How to Use the LinkedIn Learning App to Boost Your Skills

Read Next

About The Writer